U of Alabama returns $21,000,000

4,294 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HunkerDownDawgs
JudgeLarryDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Donation from Hugh Culverhouse.

Alabama trustees voted Friday to return a record $21.5 million donation from controversial donor Hugh Culverhouse Jr. and rename the law school. Culverhouse had originally pledged a total of $26.5 million.

Culverhouse last week called for a boycott of Alabama -- school and state -- over the state's latest near-total abortion ban law.

The UA System quickly responded saying the university and Culverhouse have been in an ongoing dispute over the millions he has donated to the law school unrelated to the abortion legislation, vice chancellor for communications Kellee Reinhart said last week. In an emailed statement, Reinhart said Culverhouse asked the school to return $10 million, "repeating numerous demands about the operations of the University of Alabama School of Law."
Gasdawg
For the love of all that is holy, please let's not have an abortion discussion on DawgPost.

Or any Alabama non-football discussion for that matter.
UticaDawg
You know you're a pain in the ass to deal with when someone gives you back your $21 million.
sicemdawgs77
Let's talk about abortion. I am kidding. As Utica said, Culverhouse seems to be a pain and my guess, is that he tries to micromanage and dictate what the law school needs to do. Sometimes no amount of money is worth that kind of headache.
Dawg44
You have to respect a man who stands up for what he believes in. He obviously respects women too.
Bulldawg1
I think he is just informing us of what happened without an opinion....I don't have an issue with that.
ssidedawg
Grant donations like that are always very specific. Bama had to know the stipulations going in as to what the money was designated for at Bama. Something else must be going on to walk away from $21M. Of course, it took the US Military to get them to desegregate...in my lifetime.
sicemdawgs77
We truly do not know what is behind the scenes. To not accept such a large donation must mean some kind of serious disagreement behind closed doors.
65dawg
I have always liked that song, "Behind Closed Doors" 65
65dawg
SoCalTrojanDawg
Good for the U of Alabama.

Not going to talk about it, either (at least here); however, abortion is nothing but legalized murder of babies. LIFE BEGINS AT CONCEPTION! Who says so? God says so!

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." -- Jeremiah 1:5

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." -- Psalm 139:13-16

"Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court." -- Psalm 127:3-5

"So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." -- Genesis 1:27

And AFTER THEY'RE BORN...

"If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea." -- Matthew 18:6, Jesus Christ, the I AM (in other words, Jesus Christ the ALMIGHTY GOD).

I said I wasn't going to talk about it. Instead, I let GOD do the talking!

Andrew
You don't "donate" $21 million without wanting some kind of pull in the university as well as say in where the money goes.
Andrew
And there it goes.

Word of God should have no say in the writing of our laws. For the record, I generally against abortion in most cases.
SoCalTrojanDawg
Andrew said:

And there it goes.

Word of God should have no say in the writing of our laws. For the record, I generally against abortion in most cases.
Can't wait to see you tell Him that when you stand---and then KNEEL--- before Him.
ssidedawg
SoCalTrojanDawg said:

Good for the U of Alabama.

Not going to talk about it, either (at least here); however, abortion is nothing but legalized murder of babies. LIFE BEGINS AT CONCEPTION! Who says so? God says so!

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." -- Jeremiah 1:5

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." -- Psalm 139:13-16

"Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court." -- Psalm 127:3-5

"So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." -- Genesis 1:27

And AFTER THEY'RE BORN...

"If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea." -- Matthew 18:6, Jesus Christ, the I AM (in other words, Jesus Christ the ALMIGHTY GOD).

I said I wasn't going to talk about it. Instead, I let GOD do the talking!

LOL, people can use the Bible for any argument. Not to mention the Bible was written 200+ years AFTER the death of Jesus by people with an agenda and then translated a few times. Example: People argue about our Constitution which was written real-time and can be easily read today. Can you imagine if we passed along the contents of the Constitution verbally (nothing in print) among only the uneducated for 200+ years? Imagine what it would look like when we finally put it on paper.

Religion has killed more people than any disease....or abortion.
Gasdawg
BackPorch in 3...2...
SoCalTrojanDawg
ssidedawg said:

"LOL, people can use the Bible for any argument. Not to mention the Bible was written 200+ years AFTER the death of Jesus by people with an agenda and then translated a few times. Example: People argue about our Constitution which was written real-time and can be easily read today. Can you imagine if we passed along the contents of the Constitution verbally (nothing in print) among only the uneducated for 200+ years? Imagine what it would look like when we finally put it on paper.

Religion has killed more people than any disease....or abortion."

People can use God's Word for most any argument, true. But, what say you? In your argument above, you're doing the very same thing that you're accusing others of doing, except you're using God's word to try and prove an invalid, baseless, nonsensical point of view that you hold to! When someone accuses others of doing something that they themselves are practicing, what's that called??? Hmmm? H-y-p...

I'm not using God's word to prove abortion is wrong. GOD is using His word to tell you and others that abortion is wrong. I have nothing to do with it. I just printed out what HE has already said, get that?

Religion (definition: man-made efforts to reach God) have killed a LOT of people.

Christianity (definition: God's efforts to reach man) has killed ONE person. Just o-n-e. It was for YOUR sin.

His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, the Alpha and the Omega, I AM, the Almighty. But, He couldn't be kept in a grave, death couldn't hold Him. He AROSE and He's coming again, soon.

You must agree with God about your sin, repent and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ today or you'll perish. You need to be saved from His wrath. Wrath? Oh, yeah. Right now, you're at war with Him....make peace with Him through Jesus Christ or be lost in hell forever. Time is short. Very, very short, my friend.

Don't be left behind.

ssidedawg
How am I a hypocrite? Where am I using God's word? In fact, I am saying quit applying non related passages to a topic that fits an agenda. Quite the opposite.

You are interpreting a passage not meant for what you intend. Its closer to reading tea leaves than strict interpretation. Jesus used parables and probably should have been far more specific as 2000 years later people have a plethora of different interpretations. Heck, how many Christian religions exist and have very different views and not to mention Jesus who was actually Jewish, not Christian. lol.

People have killed millions of people in the name of religion and Christianity. Google the crusades.

Your faith is your business and I respect it but why do we ALL have to follow your specific belief system in a free society. Who picked your church? Thats the point. And our founding fathers were far from devote Christians.
JvilleDawg1
God's word should be the ONLY say son. You SHOULD know better than that.
viperoy
ssidedawg said:

Grant donations like that are always very specific. Bama had to know the stipulations going in as to what the money was designated for at Bama. Something else must be going on to walk away from $21M. Of course, it took the US Military to get them to desegregate...in my lifetime.

No, it took football losses to get them to desegregate.
CummingDawg22
This was a donation to the law school to have it named after their family.

He essentially wanted total autonomy of Bama law and they said no. Then he said it was because of his politics.

Now he is giving the money in smaller gifts to UF law.
Andrew
SoCalTrojanDawg said:

Andrew said:

And there it goes.

Can't wait to see you tell Him that when you stand---and then KNEEL--- before Him.

Why so personal? You look forward to seeing me suffer because my beliefs don't fit yours?
HunkerDownDawgs
"Not going to talk about it, either (at least here); however ..."

I'm confused. You proceeded to "talk about it" immediately after saying you weren't going to!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.