CMW

920 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Big G
BallDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last thing for today - I wanted to see how people actually feel about CMW overall, so feel free to respond and disagree with what I'm about to say.

I have mixed feelings about him-

To start with the positives, let's just look at this offseason and how he has killed it recruiting wise. With the transfer portal and HS kids, bravo.

Second, he retained the core young guys from last year that we needed too, another must.

Third, every year he has shown positive growth and continues to change the culture around the school in regards to basketball.

All of these are great and he is increasing the Brand Name of UGA basketball and getting people excited, I just have some concerns.

I think he either needs to bring in a better assistant coaching staff, or he has to simply make better in game adjustments. How many games last year did we give up big runs and choke games we should have won? Bama ? Tennessee ? Just to name a few. I think he isn't the best in game leader.

I don't know how inspiring of a coach he is, every time I see him on the sidelines it's arms crossed and he seems to be passive and I honestly like the firey style of coaching that guys like Bob Knight brought to the table.

Besides his Xs and Os, sometimes it appeared his lineups were questions at times last year. He and his staff obviously know more then I do, but the personal at times seemed to be rather questionable and part of the reason why we struggled at times.

The biggest thing that will tip the scale is how he develops the young guys.

We know he can bring in proven transfers and get production out of them, but how will he develop Silas and Somto of the world.

If he can develop a good track record of that, and a lot of that is the entire staff, he would sell me for the considerable near future. I think at this point though, production needs to be shown, and this is the year that we have to make the leap to a tournament team.

What do you guys think? Feel free to disagree, I don't die on any hills and am happy to admit I'm wrong, it's just my opinion.
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

Last thing for today - I wanted to see how people actually feel about CMW overall, so feel free to respond and disagree with what I'm about to say.

To start with the positives, let's just look at this offseason and how he has killed it recruiting wise. With the transfer portal and HS kids, bravo.

Second, he retained the core young guys from last year that we needed too, another must.

Third, every year he has shown positive growth and continues to change the culture around the school in regards to basketball.

All of these are great and he is increasing the Brand Name of UGA basketball and getting people excited, I just have some concerns.

I think he either needs to bring in a better assistant coaching staff, or he has to simply make better in game adjustments. How many games last year did we give up big runs and choke games we should have won? Bama ? Tennessee ? Just to name a few. I think he isn't the best in game leader.

I don't know how inspiring of a coach he is, every time I see him on the sidelines it's arms crossed and he seems to be passive and I honestly like the firey style of coaching that guys like Bob Knight brought to the table.

Besides his Xs and Os, sometimes it appeared his lineups were questions at times last year. He and his staff obviously know more then I do, but the personal at times seemed to be rather questionable and part of the reason why we struggled at times.

We know he can bring in proven transfers and get production out of them, but how will he develop Silas and Somto of the world.

If he can develop a good track record of that, and a lot of that is the entire staff, he would sell me for the considerable near future. I think at this point though, production needs to be shown, and this is the year that we have to make the leap to a tournament team.

What do you guys think? Feel free to disagree, I don't die on any hills and am happy to admit I'm wrong, it's just my opinion.
I wanted White when he kicked our ass in the NIT. A friend of mine spoke with White at the baseball game over the weekend and came away impressed. The guy is very likable. And he appears to respect his players. He doesn't throw them under the bus like Crean used to do. I think that's what helped us keep our core together after last season. My only complaint is that I really liked the way his La Tech teams played - pressing and running. I like that style of play. I was hoping White would adopt that style at UGA, but he hasn't. That could be because he didn't feel like he had the roster to do it, or it could be that he thinks he can't get away with it in the SEC. I will say that the few times we pressed last year it seemed pretty effective to me. I would like more of that. Maybe with 5-6 guards on the roster he will feel more able to do it. Overall, I think White has improved our program immensely in his 2 seasons. He had almost nothing when he got to Athens. NIT in his 2nd season with several wins in the tourney is a huge step forward for us. The recruiting really picked up this year, too. So, I think we are headed in the right direction. And let me say that I'm not sure a coach like Knight would effective at all in an era where kids can transfer every year. Some of the most successful coaches in college hoops have been quiet, analytical types - Wooden, Dean Smith, etc. Knight, and I loved his early IU teams, would never make it today.
BallDawg
Agreed. Well spoken, and clearly thoughtful with his actions and words which are traits of a good leader. I think he has done so many positives for this program, and cleary has changed the landscape of the program and where and how we can compete. I think eventually though, we will have to win the big games this year, and it will take good coaching and in-game adjustments, and I hope he can do that against the highest level. I am on the CMW high horse right now, but I think some of us are overreacting a little. I saw a bunch of well respected and smart people who know a lot about the UGA program calling for a lifetime deal, one that is very Kirby-esque, and claiming him one of the upper-echelon coaches in the SEC. While I think he could get us there over time, I think we need to settle down. I think a lot of people are just very excited, a new feeling here in athens regarding basketball, so I am sure it will ease with time.
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

Agreed. Well spoken, and clearly thoughtful with his actions and words which are traits of a good leader. I think he has done so many positives for this program, and cleary has changed the landscape of the program and where and how we can compete. I think eventually though, we will have to win the big games this year, and it will take good coaching and in-game adjustments, and I hope he can do that against the highest level. I am on the CMW high horse right now, but I think some of us are overreacting a little. I saw a bunch of well respected and smart people who know a lot about the UGA program calling for a lifetime deal, one that is very Kirby-esque, and claiming him one of the upper-echelon coaches in the SEC. While I think he could get us there over time, I think we need to settle down. I think a lot of people are just very excited, a new feeling here in athens regarding basketball, so I am sure it will ease with time.
No, you don't give him any kind of lifetime deal. That would be nuts. We haven't made the tourney yet. I had a chance to interact with Fox a lot. I haven't had that chance with White. I knew Fox was not the guy, just like I knew Felton wasn't the guy. White has a big advantage (same as the other 2) in that he has a great recruiting base to draw from. Felton recruited fairly well but was not a good coach. I don't think Fox was much of a coach or recruiter, but we kept him around for 9 years - way too long in my judgment. White looks to be a step above both in recruiting. I think it is fair to say that the jury is still out on his coaching. We have improved both years - probably a little of both better coaching and recruiting. White has done a few things substitution wise or playing time wise that I didn't agree with. But compared to our recent history, he doesn't have to be a Wooden or a Smith to be an improvement. I would really like to see us have a signature style of play.
Big G
The important thing about Coach White is he has a solid foundation of young guys who are talented,and have very talented recruits to join them, putting it all together will take good coaching,really think he will do well . Still has to add a few more guys.The future looks bright for UGA basketball.
UgaBoz53
BallDawg said:

everyone is excited about this offseason
problem is white has to coach and get us to the next level, can he do that?
year 3
ATLSTNMTN53DAWG
Monkdawg
Big G said:

The important thing about Coach White is he has a solid foundation of young guys who are talented,and have very talented recruits to join them, putting it all together will take good coaching,really think he will do well . Still has to add a few more guys.The future looks bright for UGA basketball.
White has flushed out all players from Crean's teams. He did that early on. So, he's dealing with kids he recruited and has a relationship with. It is a big advantage, to me, to keep your core players together and supplement the roster with transfers. White hasn't had the time yet to load up a roster on his recruits, if one can ever do that in the transfer portal era. Perhaps after another year or 2 of bringing in good classes, he will be able to build a solid foundation in a returning team - like 9 or 10 guys - and not need the portal quite as much. But really, everybody is turning to the portal now. The college game has changed permanently IMHO.
Nostradawgus
For me I have to temper what might be normal progressive evaluations on White. Everything you judge White on HAS to be evaluated and viewed through the lens of the dystopian, smoking dumpster fire he inherited. And not just Crean. The historical quicksand descent presided over by Harrick, Felton, and Fox before Crean.

We have to accept that maybe, just maybe, White has performed miracles to date with what he was dealt.

My only pause was the protracted losing streak in SEC play. But that was offset for me by the improbable NIT run.

This offseason to me continues to show forward motion. Whether it will lead to linear continued improvement Year 2 to Year 3, we'll see. I remain hopeful.

There is zero doubt the overall program is far better today than when he arrived.

Monkdawg
UgaBoz53 said:

BallDawg said:

year 3
Sure he can. White has won everywhere he's been. He knows what it takes to win in the SEC and the NCAA tourney.
UgaBoz53
Monkdawg said:

UgaBoz53 said:

BallDawg said:

year 3
Sure he can. White has won everywhere he's been. He knows what it takes to win in the SEC and the NCAA tourney.
a winning record is one thing, taking it further is another
we will see
ATLSTNMTN53DAWG
Monkdawg
UgaBoz53 said:

Monkdawg said:

UgaBoz53 said:

BallDawg said:

year 3
we will see
Are you saying White hasn't won in the SEC and in the NCAA? He has. We haven't. Almost no history of winning, really.
jt10mc
A couple of things. I chat with him regulary. The Florida people down here wanted him gone. Following a legend is hard. He didn't win enough down here and was at personal odds with the AD.
Interestingly some of Donovans former player respect him and honestly want to see him succeed. The current coach they don't like.
So they liked him but didn't win enough.
I know thier goal is to make it and win in the tourny
I also know he walked into a situation where the culture was bad and with no foundation to build on.
I do think he will continue to raise the teams stock and win.
His biggest problem is the 800 pound gorilla in the room....Kirby Smart and football's success and expectations.
UgaBoz53
Monkdawg said:

UgaBoz53 said:

Monkdawg said:

UgaBoz53 said:

BallDawg said:

year 3
we will see
Are you saying White hasn't won in the SEC and in the NCAA? He has. We haven't. Almost no history of winning, really.
mike white was avg as grits at fla
he was run off
what has he done to make you think he is phil jackson
ATLSTNMTN53DAWG
UgaBoz53
jt10mc said:

A couple of things. I chat with him regulary. The Florida people down here wanted him gone. Following a legend is hard. He didn't win enough down here and was at personal odds with the AD.
Interestingly some of Donovans former player respect him and honestly want to see him succeed. The current coach they don't like.
So they liked him but didn't win enough.
I know thier goal is to make it and win in the tourny
I also know he walked into a situation where the culture was bad and with no foundation to build on.
I do think he will continue to raise the teams stock and win.
His biggest problem is the 800 pound gorilla in the room....Kirby Smart and football's success and expectations.

the football comparison I disagree with
he knows its a battle
ATLSTNMTN53DAWG
Monkdawg
UgaBoz53 said:

Monkdawg said:

UgaBoz53 said:

Monkdawg said:

UgaBoz53 said:

BallDawg said:

year 3
we will see
mike white was avg as grits at fla
he was run off
what has he done to make you think he is phil jackson
Please point to where I compared him to Phil Jackson.... So what if he was run off from UF? Bill Belichik was run off from Cleveland, too. Coaches are hired to be fired. UF fans had unreasonable expectations. In White's second year in his tenure at Florida, White's team secured a 4 seed in the East Region of the 2017 NCAA Tournament, reaching the Elite Eight before being eliminated by SEC rival #7 seed South Carolina. The Gators would make the tournament over the next four seasons completed (2018, 2019, and 2021). He was 142-88 overall and 72-52 in the SEC. That's way better than we've been. UF was nothing before a cheating Donovan, and it reverted to form when he left. If you can't see that White has improved our roster every year, then you don't know much about basketball.
Big G
Overall, we are talking respect, more recruits are looking at uga, and that is a step in a right direction.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.